Thursday, December 5, 2013

Stupid, Crazy Stress

None of us liked this class. The professor wasn't a very good teacher and the tests were always beyond anything he taught in class. It was mostly all on us to teach ourselves the information from the textbook and power points. Believe me--it was TONS of information. Complex information. Petty, detailed information.

The exams were not meant to test our understanding. It was a 50 minute multiple choice, true-false, short answer obstacle course to prove that we spent countless hours cramming our heads with this "stuff" we call short-term knowledge. How good were we at being a machine? A facts-container? A lot of us found out with some disappointment.

It was test number three. Our professor passed out the exam and as I received it, I let out an aggressive breath. The kind when you're about to do something that you're not going to like but you've just gotta do it anyway.

I answered the questions on the first page and flipped to the next. I read a few more questions and then it happened.

There was a question that I didn't know the answer to. I totally lost it. Usually when this sort of thing happens to me on a test, I just try to make my best guess and move on. But this time was different. This time I wanted to get up, turn in my incomplete test, and stomp out of classroom. A wave of desperation and hopelessness completely overtook me. I think I even teared up.

I should just leave and then go drop the class. This class is stupid anyway. I don't know why I even need it. I hate this. 


Suddenly, a redeeming thought entered my mind to rescue me. It was a Bible verse I committed to memory.

When the enemy comes in like a flood the Lord will raise up a standard against him.    Isaiah 59: 19


The crazy anxiety storm quieted. I took in a breath and continued taking the test--stabbing every stupid, crazy, frustrating, confusing question with my best answer.


Several days later, our professor distributed our graded tests. We went over the answers. Some argued with him about some of the questions. He bent over backwards and gave us some bonus points. My total score?

99 percent.

I could hardly believe it. God gave me peace. That stupid, crazy stress didn't beat me up. Jesus stepped in and slayed it for me.


It doesn't matter if you have a tough class, a stressful job, a kid who doesn't listen to you, a money-tight season, or a horrifying sea monster in a magical land. We all deal with stupid, crazy stress and we can beat it. Sometimes we let it beat us. But even if that happens, we have a tag team partner and He can deal with it properly.

It's okay to feel pressure, but it's not okay to let that pressure control your decisions and actions. If I had let pressure win while I was taking that test, I would have graduated late. Guarantee it.

If you're following Jesus, you have the strength to walk through high-pressure areas without falling and being carried away. Jesus wants you to know that the enemy isn't as big as he makes himself to be.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you will have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
-Jesus  John 16:33


No comments:

Post a Comment