Sunday, April 13, 2014

When I Get to Heaven

In Heaven, everything (food, health, emotions, relationships, entertainment, travel, education, government, opportunities for success) will be better than it is here times infinity. Lately, I've been spending my in-between-obligations-time thinking about it. These are some of the dreams of Heaven I've pictured in my mind. I'm not saying that these concepts can be found in Scripture, but I am saying that this life here, this litter box of a place we think is home, is nothing.

When I get to Heaven....

Maybe I'll be a seven-year-old child. If not, then I will be the most lively, jubilant, free spirit I've ever seen.

I will have my own personal angel who sings to me. On a scale of 1 to 10, his singing is one billion, two-hundred million, seven hundred sixty-one thousand, four hundred twenty-seven. The kind of singing that makes flowers pop out of the ground and bloom.

There will be live music in nearly every part of the city; like open air concerts. Whoever is playing whatever kind of music, you just have to walk there and watch them. It will be the greatest musical talent that ever was. They will sing creative, original lyrics that have deep meaning. Every song will be a story that hits home.

People from all kinds of places will be there. People from the North, South, East, and West. People representing all of the 7,000 languages of the world (not to mention languages that have passed away). People who wear wraps on their heads. People with dark skin, tan skin, ivory skin. People who make their own homes (except they won't have to here). People who wear suits and people who wear plain white t-shirts. People who like football and people who like a good book. I will get to meet them, eat with them, dance with them, make music with them, and share stories with them. And we'll talk and sing and laugh and eat and dance for a long time. Maybe several weeks will pass and we won't even realize it.
Maybe we'll decide to play a few games of ultimate Frisbee on the surface of a near by lake. We'll launch each other into the air and come crashing beneath the water.

Everyone will be so drunk with the Holy Spirit, that not even the most critical person will find a reason for criticism. Everyone will think that every other person is the most amazing creation in the realm of existence. There will be no ideal body type or personality. The tall, slender, white female idealism will be completely gone. Even the freckle-iest, frumpiest, twirpy-iest, physical "impeferctions" will be replaced with perfections. Green eyes will be even greener, blue eyes, bluer, black eyes like deep ebony, and brown eyes will be browner. They will shine with radiance and captivate anyone who looks.

I will meet with friends and relatives who had passed away while I was on earth and witness the inexpressible joy between reunited family members hugging, crying, and wiping each other's tears of joy.

My heroes will be there. I plan to sit underneath a tree on a Persian rug with Queen Esther and some others like Corrie Ten Boom, Amy Carmichael, and Rosa Parks. I will spend hours listening to them talk of stories of their moments of fear and courage. I will go for a run with Eric Liddell. Elisabeth Elliot will ask me to co-author a book. I'll shoot some hoops with Jeremy Lin (because I'll actually enjoy basketball). Keith Green will teach me how to play piano and write Jesus songs. Noah will help me build a tree house. Joseph will help me build several sets of book cases, tables, and chairs for my house. From the most famous heroes of the faith to those who I've never heard of... they'll all be there and we will be good friends.

No one will ever feel alone nor will they feel too overwhelmed by being around so many people for such a long time. I won't feel like I need some alone time to recharge, but, at the same time, will be completely understood by my billions and billions of friends if I want to go alone on a month-long (or however they'll measure that) venture on my horse (or unicorn) through the mountains. On the other side of the mountains, I'll ride to the beach that stretches for several miles. There, I'll meet my Love. My Jesus. We'll walk along the beach holding hands, talking about our deepest desires, singing old hymns, start a fire, and star gaze. We'll decide to go swimming and then we'll dive deep under the surface of the ocean and swim miles deep. We won't come back up until after a few days pass.

When we get back to the beach, He'll pull out the blueprints of an enormous sand castle. We don't rush to finish. We have all of eternity.

I'll travel back to my house because beginning with the next sunrise, I'll start working on my 27th Ph.D. I will be an expert in pretty much every field of study that I have a slight inclination towards: psychology, linguistics, anatomy, physiology, botany, chemistry, etymology, music theory, economics, the study of insects, the history of the world, literature, philosophy, the supernatural, art, astronomy, culinary arts, pedagogy, mechanical/electric engineering, anthropology, geology, medicine, animal science, physics, sociology, architecture, and... well... whatever else I can possibly be an expert about.

I'll be a teacher of all of these subjects and my students will be extremely motivated so I won't have to incorporate the grading system into their education. I'll also be a student. I long to attend a class taught by C.S. Lewis, Martin Luther, Deitrich Bonhoffer, G.K. Chesterton, A.W. Tozer, or Ralph Waldo Emerson.

We won't really have to do any research (unless we just wanna have some fun) because all truth is archived somewhere in some gargantuan library, not to mention Jesus will be there to tell us everything we want to know. Especially all the questions concerning theology that anyone ever pondered. Theologians will finally be able to reach a plausible... or... logical.... or.... I don't know.... the right conclusion about all those bothersome questions we wrestled with and lost sleep over.

After a day at the university or work or play, everyone goes the the main arena in the capital. Some people prefer to walk there in large groups. Some people like to jump from tree top to tree top. Some like to do back strokes in mid air. Some just like to run there really, really, really fast. By the time they arrive, you'd think they'd have wind burn. They don't.

The most exciting event goes on here. An enormous, jubilant, energetic worship service with everyone from every corner of the New Earth assembled. A parade starts descending down the long aisles of the arena. There are dancers and instrumentalists that are familiar to us when we lived on earth such as African choirs, river dancers, Spaniards on guitars, bag pipes, and blue grass bands. There are also thousands of instruments and styles that are completely different from the norm. The kind of instruments King Jehoshaphat's armies played while marching into battle.

Sometimes there is so much energy and emotion from the music and at other times, the music completely stops, but everyone there is still on fire with love for the Mighty One. Those who were once reluctant hand-raisers are now jumping up and down and shouting constantly.  Tears of joy and loud singing seem to never end. Others may be sitting down with their faces buried in their hands rocking back and forth. Others seem to just stand still and smile with wonder.

Then He comes out and stands the midst of his beloved church. Everyone is completely silent and longing to hear the sound of His voice. He starts to preach.... I mean preach. There has never been anyone so passionate and sincere. The whole place is illuminated and gets brighter and brighter as the people clap and receive revelation and understanding. The love is thick. You can almost touch it. The discouragement and doubt and setbacks that I fought before coming here never came back again after I heard and understood so much truth.

There is a huge feast after the powerful, exciting church service. The food is so delicious and satisfying, sometimes when people eat it, tears run down their face. There's no limit. People usually go back for twenty-eth helpings. After you're ready to stop eating, there's an extravagant ballroom with a full orchestra and choirs of angels. Evening gowns and tuxedos are there for everyone. When I put on a dress here, in Heaven, I don't feel a hint of self-consciousness. My King is enthralled and ravished by me. We dance together all evening. No romantic moment I could ever imagine compares with this.

He is my treasure, my reward, my confidence, and my desire. The best thing about Heaven will be Him. The one who made a way for me to be with Him. He is the only way and the only fulfillment. All of my sin and regret and condemnation is dissolved because of His sacrifice.

When I get to Heaven, I will be with Him.

But until then, I'll wait for Him. I will serve Him and worship Him here. I will compel other people to chase after Him because He is the only way to eternal life. It is impossible to be good enough to deserve life in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Where are you going after your life here is over? You don't want to miss Heaven. Please. Give your life to Jesus and follow Him for the rest of your days. He has promises for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment