Friday, March 21, 2014

Conversations: Nassau, Bahamas

On the plane from Nashville to Atlanta
*owner of an information technology company originally from India.

"I'm a practicing Hindu. My wife is very religious and so is my son. I got serious about it when I married my wife and have been consistent ever since... Shivah is the main deity I believe in."

"That's interesting. So, do you know anything about Jesus?"

"Actually, when I was a child, I lived in Sri Lanka for a few years. My father was in the military so our family moved around quite a bit. My siblings and I attended a church every week and I heard a lot of Bible stories from the teachers there. They're not  faded memories, I mean, I have very vivid memories of the stories about Jesus."

"Wow, that's cool. What do you think about him now?"

"Well, they told me that he was God. Not so sure now. But I think it's great that you believe in him so strongly. I think everyone needs something to believe in. If they don't, they're lost."

*still praying for him to know Jesus as God.


Next to the cruise ship quay downtown Nassau (Bahamas)
*young Bahamian guy

"Yeah, I'm backslidden. I'm not living for Jesus and if I died today, I would go to Hell."

"You know you don't have to. You can change that right now."

"Yeah, but I'm just gonna wait for the right timing. Not today."

"That's kind of risky. What if the end comes before you're ready?"

"Well, I just won't be ready. I don't want to change today. Not today."

"What's the thing that's stopping you from following Jesus?"

"It's just.... I'm not ready."

"Ok... well... we're here talking to you right now because we don't want you to go to Hell. We want you to be saved and start a real relationship with Jesus. We don't want to preach down at you. We just really care about you."

....*head nod, pursed lips*


College of the Bahamas sitting under a gazebo
*college girl, giving her a survey

"So this is the most important question: If you died today, do you know where you would spend eternity?"

".......uh.....no......ok, so I have a question. If you get saved, can you lose it?

"Well, it's kind of like when you decide to get on a boat. God's not gonna keep you on there if you change your mind and don't wanna be on it anymore."

"So... I could lose it?"

"Yeah... basically... you make that decision."

"Oh... *nods head, serious look*... ok. Go ahead, what's the next survey question?"

*at the end of the survey, my friend and I prayed with her to be set free from whatever was separating her from God.


Nassau Airport, Gate C51
*traveling muscian

"So do you ever go to any churches when you travel?"

"....*shakes head, smiles warmly*....No, I don't really believe in anything. I'm originally Hindu, but since I moved to California, I just follow my heart."

"Has your heart ever lead you in the wrong direction?"

"No. Never."

"Not even one time that you can remember? Have you thought about it before?"

"I don't think. I just do." *casual shoulder shrug

".......So.... where do you think you would go if your life ended today?"

"I don't think about that."

"What if you....?"

"I don't like this project. Let's start a new project."

"....Ok.... uh.... well, how long have you been playing the bamboo flute?"


Seaside outdoor restaurant
*waiter who just read our message written in ketchup: "Thanks for excellent service. Jesus loves you."

"Oh wow." *big smile

"You like it?"

"I'll have to show it to the guys in the back." *starts walking away

"Sir! Are you a Christian?"

"Does goin' to church count?"

".....uh.... no... not really." *smirk

"It's been years since I was really livin' for him. I've been waiting for the right time to come back to him."

"Well....*suggestive smile*....how bout now?"

*he prayed with us and decided to start living for Jesus again.



Great spring break mission trip to the Bahamas with the best campus ministry in the world. Lots of good conversations no matter what the end results were. We trust that the Holy Spirit is still working. Our team members collectively saw 75 salvations/re-dedications.


You can share your faith, too. Christians are called do it. Go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment