Friday, December 27, 2013

Waiting in the Rain

On this sidewalk
In this big city
People pass by me
Some see that I'm quite giddy
Others give me glances of pity
They don't know that
I'm waiting in the rain for You

Shades of silver and gray
A runny noise
Heavy drops of rain
Damp clothes
My shoes, soggy
But my heart, full of hope
I'm waiting in the rain for You

I hum a sweet tune
Like a little school boy
You'll be here soon
What an overwhelming joy
Using up my patience
I pace back and forth
While waiting in the rain for You

Time has passed
The day grows dimmer
Not sure if I'll last
Waiting begins to glimmer
But hope is still strong
I close my eyes and think
And wait in the rain for You

I think about how you chose me
And I remember how you did it
Your love is the sweetest melody
Like fire without limit
I feel a smile come across my face
And  my tears roll down
As I wait in the rain for You

I feel a nudge on my shoulder
A firm but friendly one
I saw two faces that looked older
The first one asked me a question
"Excuse me, but why are here in the rain?
I answered them as best as I could
I was waiting in the rain for You

I told them all about my Lover
Handsome, righteous, and bold
Anyone's mistakes He's willing to cover
He'll come to take me to a place of gold
And we'll share our love forever
With great passion and eternal excitement
"That's why I'm waiting in the rain, sirs."

"That's ridiculous," said one
As he huffed and stormed away
"Would He come for me too?" asked his son
I said, "Yes" and he chose to stay
He joined me on the sidewalk
And we talked for hours
As we were waiting in the rain for You

Time ticked and the sky grew dark
It started to pour and thunder rolled
Some would give a smart remark
But our reason was always told
We won some over, but lost others
Offended some, but made some brothers
We were all standing in the rain waiting for You

So here I am
Still standing here
This is no scam
The time is near
I won't give up
Even if it's miserable here
I will wait in the rain for You


No comments:

Post a Comment