Friday, March 26, 2010

And a Bottle of Goombay

Okay, so the last few blogs have been pretty intense. Time for some lite whip cream material. These are the events that took place from the time I got home from the Christ Ambassadors mission trip to Nassau, Bahamas until sometime where I decided that there is just too much more to say.

1. I walked through the front door to find my dad playing guitar and singing "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" by Chet Atkins. I completely forgot about that song. It was nice to hear it again.

2. I made my way to the pantry and found a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I was pleased.

3. My dog wasn't so peppy. He's usually so peppy, I can hardly stand it. It's because, a week ago, he swallowed the cover of his stuffed soccer ball--whole.
I don't like the cover of that stuffed soccer ball.

4. I sat down in the living room recliner and had a good, long chat with Dad. We talked about mission trips, the U.S., how all people really want to go to Heaven, and read Matthew 5. It's a good chapter.

5. My big little brother came home from school wearing his extremely strict school dress code clothes. I forgot about the extremely strict school dress code and was pretty thankful that my graduation year allowed me to escape such a feat.

6. Logged onto Facebook and saw that my good buddy, Meredith, tagged me in a newspaper article from the Bahamas. Yes. We made the newspaper in another country.
That's
what's up.

7. Got all of my dirty clothes from my car and took them to my room. Popped in a CD called "Reggae Redemption Songs" and blasted it. Sung along with Sheldon Blackman & The Love Circle in his song that started like this:

Ah-yeah-yeah-yeah
Yeah-yeah-yeah
Yeah-yeah-yeah
YEAAAAH
Evry mawn have a right to belieeeeeeve
Now, evry mawn have a right to receeeeeeeeive
De trut (he really means to say "the truth")
De trut
De TRUT

I realized that Sheldon Blackman and I are brother and sister because of Jesus.
Now that's what's up.

8. Went through my suitcase and saw five cans of Goombay punch (famous carbonated drink from the Bahamas). Got excited about that and let Reid (big little brother) try some. He didn't like it all that much.

9. Reid's friend from his English class came over and they worked on their ballad assignment that they were going to present the next morning. More about that later.

10. Mom and Dad have developed a taste for the TV show "All in the Family." I watched it with them and thought it was pretty funny. I realized that the people in that show are an older couple with children all grown up and out of the house. Now I kind of understand why my parents (a couple with grown kids) watch it.

11. Mom called in an order from Los Portales ( my favorite). I drove the van to pick up the food. Took my reggae CD so I could listen to it for the whole five or seven minutes it took for me to drive from the house to there and back again.

12. After the fajitas, I peeled a banana and tried to offer a bite to my dog. Poor dog. He denies his favorite food ever.
I really don't like the cover of that stuffed soccer ball.

13. After watching a few minutes of the UK game, I took a dip in the tub and went to bed. Fell asleep almost immediately.
That's what's up.

14. Woke up early because I was planning on going to Reid's English class to see his ballad presentation. Man, it felt weird walking down the halls of that high school. It seemed like I was 17 all over again.

15. I slipped in the classroom and my former English teacher greeted me. "Well, hey darlin'."
I waited for the presentation while students went over the meanings of their vocabulary words which included "ambiguous", "epigram", "hyperbole", and others. After that, Reid stood up and handed out sheets that had the lyrics to their ballad about Pokemon. Reid then explained to the class that he and his friend, Dalton, had found a "drifter" with a guitar on their way to school that morning. They brought him inside the class to help them sing their ballad.
Here's the video.



Lyrics:

Got to Catch Em All

I remember Charzard, and I remember Blastoise.
I never used Pidgey; he was just to lame for me.
I traded cards on Sunday. I went to school on Monday.
Took advantage of my friends, "Gotta catch em' all"

Dad said, "Son, you've made a life out of Pokemon and Gameboys."
Knowin' what the cards were by their holographic shine.
So if you don't mind my playin', My Pokemon need training.
Pikachu is waiting; "Gotta catch em' all."

Chorus:
You've got to know when to throw em', know when to heal em'
Know when to swap em' out, know when to run.
You've got Blue, Red, and Yellow; Ditto was made of Jello.
Ain't no time for sleeping; "Gotta catch em' all"

Every trainer knows that secret to survival,
Is knowin' who to throw away and knowin' who to keep.
'Cause Bulbasuar's a winner and Metapod's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to catch a freakin' Mew.

And when we finished fighting, Team Rocket went home crying.
Beat Koffing, Meowth, and Ekans, they "blasted off again."
Somewhere in the nineties, when kids still played their Gameboys.
Training ever' night and day; had to "catch em' all"

Chorus x 3







I'm so proud.

5 comments:

  1. i love you sooo much! and your family too...wow lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you write blogs??


    -Reid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually...
    Ah-yeah-yeah-yeah
    Yeah-yeah-yeah
    Yeah-yeah-yeah
    YEAAAHHH

    ReplyDelete
  4. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    "you write blogs?? - reid"

    *snicker*
    that's funny. =)

    good post.

    ReplyDelete